IMPRESS is at the vanguard of a new, positive future for news publishers, ensuring quality independent journalism flourishes in a digital age. We help to build understanding and trust between journalists and the public - and provide the public with trusted sources of news.
We are a regulator designed for the future of media, building on the core principles of the past, protecting journalism, while innovating to deal with the challenges of a digital age.
What we do
- Award a ‘Trust in Journalism’ mark to publishers that meet our standards for membership.
- Maintain a progressive Standards Code, and assess any breaches of this code by our members.
- Provide an arbitration scheme which is free to all parties and protects publishers against the risk of court costs and exemplary damages.
- Support the development of news publishers, through partnerships and collaboration.
Who we are
- Key to our role as an effective regulator is our governance and structure.
- Our board is made up of journalists, experts and specialists with a wide range of experience and skills. They are selected by an Appointment Panel. We also maintain a Code Committee, that is responsible for advising the board on our Standards Code.
- IMPRESS has a small staff team, based out of our office in central London.
- We are growing quickly. Our membership is currently made up of more than 150 regulated publications from across the country, collectively reaching more than 15 million readers each month.
How we operate
- As a regulator for the public, IMPRESS is committed to openness and transparency in everything we do.
- All IMPRESS's audited annual reports are made public and can be downloaded from the IMPRESS website.
- Details on our current funding can be found here.
- Our organisational and regulatory policies are also published on our website.
- Visit the IMPRESS FAQ page for more details.