This is a great opportunity to join a ground-breaking organisation at an exciting point in its development. IMPRESS is the first press regulator in the UK to be officially recognised as independent and effective, giving publishers the freedom to report hard-hitting stories and the responsibility to behave fairly if complaints are made against them.
IMPRESS’s growing membership already includes more than 120 news publications from hyperlocals to international investigative platforms. They publish a wide range of community news, investigative reporting and political commentary. They are an important part of the future of the news media, at a time of important challenges for this sector.
About the role
The Business & Communications Officer will be working across the different business functions of IMPRESS including communications, engagement, regulation, business development and administration. This is an excellent and challenging opportunity for an individual looking to develop a strong set of skills across all functions of an ambitious and fast developing organisation.
The ideal person will be a self-starter and creative individual, interested in fulfilling a dynamic role at the heart of the organisation. The role will have access to internal and external training opportunities where needed.
The post holder will report to the Communications & Engagement Manager.
The position is based in IMPRESS’s offices in London, a short walk from Blackfriars Underground Station.
Desired skills and qualifications
- Degree educated.
- Self-starter and creative. Can take initiative to seek out opportunities across different business areas and self-manage when set tasks; can organise and prioritise multiple tasks against deadlines efficiently and according to specifications.
- Excellent analysis and reporting skills.
- Excellent phone manager. Able to represent company brand confidently to external stakeholders courteously and professionally, both at the office and at events.
- Great written communications skills.
- Good attention to detail.
- Experience with social media and content calendars (Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, TweetDeck, others).
- Experience with file management and using databases e.g. CRM (like Microsoft Dynamics).
- Some video and image editing skills. Experience using Adobe products (video editing, photoshop).
- Some experience in event management. Be efficient and practical in dealing with suppliers and external stakeholders as required.
- General interest in the UK media landscape and an understanding of the environment in which IMPRESS is operating is ideal.
To support IMPRESS across different areas including:
- Managing social media channels with a view to building support for IMPRESS among key audiences. Organising content calendars and publication.
- Providing support with event organising (including our annual Trust in Journalism Conference, webinars and others).
- Producing content in a variety of formats, for diverse audiences (regular newsletters, press releases, Annual Report, website updates, podcasts and videos).
- Coordinating fluent communications with publications.
- Liaising effectively with suppliers and external stakeholders to produce communications materials and others.
- Supporting strategic goals and helping monitor progress according to agreed KPIs and objectives, developing strategic thinking.
- Monitoring media and policy updates, and latest relevant developments.
- Assisting with regular compliance and admin checks.
- Fulfilling general admin tasks to support the office.
- Being the first point of enquiry for visitors, public calls and emails.
IMPRESS strives to be an inclusive organisation that celebrates diversity. We welcome applications from all members of the community with relevant skills and experience.
Location: IMPRESS, 16-18 New Bridge Street, London EC4V 6AG
Hours: Monday to Friday, 09:00–17:30 with 1hr lunch, 37.5hrs per week
Reporting to: Communications & Engagement Manager
Contract: Full time, permanent
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV and a cover letter up to one side of A4 outlining why you think you’re an ideal candidate for this position to email@example.com by Tuesday 6th May 2019, 9am.
IMPRESS is committed to the aims of its Equality & Diversity Policy. This includes not discriminating under the Equality Act 2010, and encouraging equality and diversity. If you would like to help us with this, please click here to download our Equality and Diversity Monitoring Form and return the completed form along with your application. This form will be separated from the application and kept anonymous. The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. Filling in this form is entirely voluntary and submission or non-submission will be entirely unconnected to the success of your application.
Deadline: Tuesday 6th May 2019, 9am